With flu season on the horizon and COVID-19 germs lurking everywhere, disinfectant is on everyone’s minds. What you may not realize is that many household cleaning and disinfecting products contain bleach. While these products may be effective, exposure can trigger harmful effects on humans and pets. Using an EPA-registered disinfectant that contains no bleach is a much safer option for your household and workplace.
Every year more research concludes that products containing bleach pose serious dangers to our health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently reported 20 percent more calls to U.S. poison control centers since the pandemic began. In the CDC’s follow-up survey, they found that 39 percent of these cases involved someone using bleach in one or more “high-risk practices” in attempts to disinfect with diluted bleach. Yes, one of those practices involved gargling!
Whether you’re looking for a workplace disinfectant spray or household cleaner, it’s best to use one made with less toxic ingredients. Here are five reasons to use Clear Gear EPA-registered disinfectant instead of bleach.
1. Bleach is Dangerous for Kids
It’s a common misconception that bleach is only dangerous if you swallow it. The reality is that bleach can affect the health of children living in a household where it’s used to clean. It lurks on surfaces after being used to clean and continues to emit toxic fumes. Research shows that it can cause or exacerbate respiratory illness and that its use may be linked to an increased risk of allergies or asthma.
2. It Doesn’t Play Well With Others
Bleach doesn’t mix well with anything besides water. When mixed with alcohol, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide or even vinegar, chlorine gas is released. This causes cellular damage in the nasal passageways and lungs and can even result in death. Chlorine gas is a very toxic chemical that was used as chemical warfare in World War I, the Syrian Civil War and other battles. Other products like dishwasher detergent and window cleaners can also interact with a home or workplace disinfectant and cause toxic fumes.
3. Bleach is Harmful to Pets
Products containing bleach can linger on surfaces like floors and even bedding. This exposes your pets to toxic fumes and trace product that can linger on their fur. Since animals lick and groom themselves all the time, they can accidentally ingest these chemicals. Bleach poisoning in pets can result in diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, seizures and even death. Much research shows that bleach’s byproducts are also linked to cancer in animals.
4. Bleach is Bad for Your Body
Inhaling bleach on a regular basis—such as household cleaning—damages your respiratory system and mucous membranes. How many times have your nose and eyes stung when exposed to bleach? Users often experience coughing attacks or feel dizzy and lightheaded. Bleach can also damage your skin, causing redness, burning, rashes and irritation. If it’s spilled on your skin and left there for too long, it can permanently damage tissue and lighten pigment. If bleach gets it into your eyes, it can quickly cause permanent damage and vision loss.
Whether you’re seeking a home or workplace disinfectant spray, it’s best to use products that don’t contain bleach. Clear Gear spray contains no bleach or alcohol yet kills germ that cause COVID-19 in just three minutes. It eliminates germs that cause a wide range of other infectious illnesses like the flu, common colds, impetigo, ringworm and staph infections including MRSA.
By avoiding bleach, you can help keep your family, pets and workplace healthy. Click here to learn about the benefits of using an EPA-registered disinfectant like Clear Gear.